embryo transfer

It’s done…my little embryos are inside of me now. And they are the most adorable little embryos! 😛 I had two transferred, which is what I expected all along, and it was all very simple. We arrived at the hospital a little before 8:30 this morning, and were out of there around 9:45. Before the transfer, the doctor went over everything with us, including the grades of our embryos, how many to transfer, and cryopreservation of the other embryos.

As far as the grades go, I had the following:

Grade 1: 0
Grade 2: 3
Grade 3: 7
Grade 4: 1
Grade 5: 2

Grade 1 is the best quality, and Grade 5 means that the embryos are no longer viable. Grades have nothing to do with how well the baby will turn out, it just has to do with the possibility that the embryos will implant. As you can see, we had 3 Grade 2 embryos, 2 of which we had transferred today. So we have 9 embryos still left, which the lab is going to try to grow to blastocyst and freeze. I suppose we’ll get a phone call on Wednesday to let us know if any made it, and it’ll cost us about $500 to freeze them. The doc said that there is a 90% attrition rate, so that means only 10% of embryos usually make it to blastocyst, which means we may have 1 make it to freeze. That’s not as good as I’d hoped for, but I’m grateful for what we have. But he also said that they are very particular about which embryos to cryopreserve, and that there is a 95% thaw rate, which is pretty awesome. I’ve read that thaw rate at some places can be as low as 50%, which is why I was a little hesitant when he originally said there might only be 1 embryo to freeze. But he assured me that it was worth it.

After all that, Mike and I went into the OR, where I of course had to get up onto the table and into the stirrups (it’s becoming a very familiar position). My bladder was uncomfortably full, so I was really hoping there wouldn’t be any type of “accident” – that would have been extremely embarrassing! To the right of me, I had a screen where they displayed my embryos so I can see them being put into the catheter, and to my left was the ultrasound screen where I could see the embryos going in. The doc did a little test run to make sure he knew where he was going, and then they brought the catheter with my embryos loaded in and voila! they were transferred. I tried to watch on the ultrasound screen, but I could not see a damn thing! They even printed out a little picture for me, but except for the arrow on the screen, I see nothing. I guess I don’t have the trained eye.

Afterwards, they rolled me back into a private room, where I was ordered to remain laying down for 20 minutes. It was a very long 20 minutes, since my bladder was about to explode by the time I went to the bathroom. But I made it, and now I’m home again, laying down for the rest of the day…giving motivational speeches to my embryos to please implant, please implant! I go in for a pregnancy test on the 30th, so I guess this is the start of the dreaded 2 week wait.


4 Responses to “embryo transfer”

  1. ewokmama Says:

    Go little dudes go!!!!

  2. Annika Says:

    Implant, little embryos, implant!

  3. Beth Says:

    I hope they stick like molasses to you. 🙂

  4. Jenny Says:

    Ihope you were successful. I’m going through the same thing now. Wish me luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: