HSG experience

From the start on Monday, I was very anxious up until my appointment. I didn’t want to miss it, so I made us leave early to get to the hospital (it takes about 40 minutes to get there, and we left 2 hours early – there could have been traffic!). Anyway, we got there about an hour before we were supposed to, and so we ended up getting some subway and having a quick picnic on the grass outside the hospital. That helped me to relax just a little bit, but I was still very nervous.

At 12:30, I checked in with the desk, and duh! they said I had to give a urine sample for a pregnancy test. I wish they would have told me this before when I made the appointment, because I had just went pee before checking in. Mike had that “I told you so” look on his face, because he had suggested that I check in before going to the bathroom. So I had to down about 2 bottles of water within 20 minutes.

At about 1:15, they called about me along with about 10 other women to come into the conference room. Since they won’t do the procedure without someone to drive you home, most of the women had their husbands with them, one girl had brought her friend as support. Dr. O gave us a short brief on the procedure, and had us fill out a consent form. Dr. O said that we were all going to another room, I think it was radiology, and we would be called in the order that we had made the appointment. I was the second one.

They called us groups of two, so me and this other girl (I didn’t catch her name, so I’ll call her Anna) went back first. Mike didn’t come with me at this point – although he could have, but I think he felt uncomfortable – so me, Anna, and her friend that she had brought went back to this room where they had us change into a gown. Anna was more nervous than I was, and we sat in a waiting room talking for a while talking. It was nice talking to someone else who is having some of the same issues.

Anyway, to wrap this up (I have to go to work in a few), they called Anna in first, and she came out about 10 minutes later with this unpleasant look on her face. I had managed to work myself into a nervous wreck waiting my turn, so her face did not make me happy. She looked at me, and said “you’re going to need him in there”. She asked her friend to go grab Mike so he could be in the room with me. I thought that was incredibly nice of her, and I’m very glad that she did that, because it was nice having him in there with me for comfort.

They called me in, and I had to get up on a bench, and take the position 🙂 On my back, knees up, feet spread. They took a few moments to set everything up, and at first, it felt like nothing more than when I get a pap smear. But then they did some type of clamp, and that was slightly painful. Nothing too bad, but it was a strange pain. After that, they starting inserting the liquid into me, which was definitely not too pleasant. I got a horrible pain, and I actually yelled out, which is odd for me. They said they thought it was an air bubble, so they had me turn slightly, which relieved some of the pain. There were just a few more moments of pain, but I tried to distract myself by watching the screen showing the liquid move through my uterus and tubes. They pointed the air bubble out to me (what the hell? an air bubble), and showed me how it had moved. They also showed me that there was no blockage. The picture was just kinda blurry to me, but I trusted what they said. And then that was it. It took less than a minute of the liquid, and then it was done. All that waiting, and being anxious, and I was in the room less than 5 minutes. Crazy.

I have a follow-up appointment on June 6th to get the final results (those were just the preliminary), and to find out if they are going to put me on Clomid. Funny thing is, I guess my doctor is booked up, because they made me an appointment with Dr. O. Which I’m fine with, because she seemed nice, and I’m not a big fan of my doctor (Dr. R) anyway.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: